3-Step Quick Fit Method
Step 1: Prep
What you Need to Begin:
- A microwave: Standard (non-convectional) to heat the
- A microwave-safe coffee mug
- A clock or timer
- A slotted spoon: for placing and removing the Night
Guard from the hot water
- A non-metallic object: such as a small wooden spoon,
chopstick, or popsicle stick to prevent the water from over-heating.
- A small plate: on which to let the dental protector cool on before fitting
- A mirror: to aid in the fitting process
Step 2: Heat
- A microwave:Standard (non-convectional) to heat the water
- Fill coffee mug half full with tap water.
- Place a non-metallic object such as a small wooden spoon, chopstick, or
popsicle stick in the water.
- Microwave the water for 3 minutes. Let stand for 30 seconds. Remove the
mug from microwave.
- A slotted spoon: for placing and removing the Night Guard from the
- Using a slotted spoon to keep hands away from hot water, immediately
place your NightGuard® face down (grooved side down) in the hot water for 2
- After 2 minutes, use the slotted spoon to remove your NightGuard® from
the hot water. Place it on a plate, sticky channel side up. Let cool ten
seconds and proceed with fitting.
Step 3: Fit
1. Bite Down Firmly:
- Using a mirror as a guide, center the NightGuard® in your mouth. Make
sure your front teeth are slightly behind the front edge and bite down
firmly. Sink your teeth as far into the soft material as possible. Try not
to let the biting process push it forward.
2. Mold the outside:
- With your teeth clenched, use your thumbs to firmly press the soft
material sideways into and against the outside of your teeth all the way
around your mouth. Pushing the material sideways into your teeth and not up
and into the gums is important for a correct fit.
3. Mold the inside:
- Open your mouth and use your thumbs to firmly press the soft material
sideways into and against the inside of your teeth all the way around your
- After the material has been pressed into the sides of the teeth,
continue biting down firmly for at least 30 seconds.
You will know that you have successfully completed the fitting process if the NightGuard® stays on your upper teeth when your mouth is open.
If the length of the dental protector extends beyond your back molars, the dental protector can be shortened by using sharp scissors or a sharp knife.
If you do not achieve a fit that stays locked in place, the product should be fit again. To fit the product again:
- Using a microwave or stove top, heat just the water as was initially done in the fitting process. Place the dental protector into the hot water for around 20 seconds, or until you can mold the soft material
- Wait until it has cooled slightly and mold the plastic back to resemble the original product. The product can be placed back into the hot water for around 20 seconds, or until you can mold the soft material.
- Let the Night Guard cool to room temperature, and then repeat the fitting instructions
Care & Cleaning
Proper care of your NightGuard will extend its life.
Clean your dental protector:
- For best results, use Fresh Guard™ by Efferdent™, specially formulated to clean Removable Braces, Retainers and Mouth Guards like The Doctor’s NightGuard®
- Fresh Guard™ by Efferdent™ is available in:
- Soak for a deep clean, which kills 99.9% of odor causing bacteria
- Wipes for a quick and convenient clean that leaves a fresh mint flavor.
- Use Fresh Guard™ by Efferdent™ daily to help keep your NightGuard® fresh as new.